History of the Community Reading Partnership
The Community Reading Partnership was formed as an outgrowth of a literacy improvement initiative in the Canandaigua City School District in August 1998. Instrumental in our development was the connection to Brigid Hubberman, Project Director for the Family Reading Partnership of Tompkins County(NY).
In January, 2000, the Community Reading Partnership held a community forum to gather data to determine if our group met a need within the community. Representatives from a multitude of agencies were invited. We received an overwhelming amount of support. Later that year, the project was “migrated” over from the school district to the Canandaigua community.
The organization falls under the umbrella of the Finger Lakes Area Community Endowment (FLACE), where we have our 501(c)(3) charitable status. A charter Agreement of Partnership has been drawn for our organization.
Today, the Community Reading Partnership continues to build support by networking with community organizations and through our visibility within the community as we fulfill our initiatives.
Each year, the Community Reading Partnership provides:
- Approximately 750 books for babies at birth at Thompson Hospital
- Approximately 500 books for babies at 12-month checkups at the Canandaigua Medical Group
- Approximately 350 books for Kindergarten registrants (incoming kindergarteners) at Canandaigua Primary School
- Over 10,000 books to families in our community through these Little Red Bookshelf sites:
- Canandaigua Family YMCA, 32 N. Main St., Canandaigua
- Canandaigua Medical Group-Pediatrics, 355 Parrish St., Canandaigua
- Canandaigua Medical Group-Pediatrics (Farmington Office), 1160 Corporate Drive, Farmington
- Gleaners’ Community Kitchen, St. John’s Episcopal Church, 183 North St., Canandaigua
- Happiness House-Finger Lakes United Cerebral Palsy, 5415 County Rd. 10, Canandaigua
- Literacy Volunteers of Ontario-Yates County – 183 S. Main St., Canandaigua
- Ontario County Family Court, Ontario County Court House, 27 N. Main St., Canandaigua
- Ontario County Health Facility, Sunshine Room, 3062 County Complex Dr., Hopewell
- Ontario County Jail, Visitors Area, 3045 County Complex Dr., Hopewell
- Ontario County Social Services, Main lobby, 3010 County Complex Dr., Hopewell
- Ontario County Youth Care Facility, 3993 County Complex Dr., Hopewell
- Our Children’s Place, 9 Village Drive, Clifton Springs
- Parkway Plaza Laundromat, Parkway Plaza, Rts. 5&20, Canandaigua
- Planned Parenthood, 15 Lafayette Ave., Canandaigua
- The Salvation Army, 100 Saltonstall St., Canandaigua
- WIC Fingerlakes Program, 79 S. Main St., Canandaigua
- Various grant-funded literacy programs in partnership with community organizations to promote good reading practices